The Soul Reminders® Story
I began writing Soul Reminders in 2015 while recovering from an iatrogenic brain injury that took years to heal. Writing (and gardening) connected me to God and kept me alive.
When I returned to my coaching career, and life got busier, as it tends to do, my writing fell to the wayside. I closed the Soul Reminders website after publishing two books of Soul Reminders. I assumed that Soul Reminders had finished their course, it was time for other endeavors.
In April 2022, I was blessed with a community garden plot after I had moved into an apartment. One morning, while walking to the garden, God urged me to write Soul Reminders again. I’ve learned over the years to be obedient. I said, “Yes, of course,” and here we are.
People often ask what my religion is. It is what Jesus taught, it is love.
Dr. Jenn’s Story
Trauma in my childhood shaped me in ways that kept me from my fullest potential. I struggled with anxiety and low self-esteem, which traditional psychotherapy didn’t help. I turned to alcohol to cope. Eventually, a doctor prescribed a benzodiazepine, which I took per his direction. The medication helped until my brain became tolerant, a response called neuroadaptation. I became cognitively, emotionally, and physically disabled. I had to get off the medication, but the medical community is mostly uneducated about benzodiazepines, and I was given tapering advice that further harmed my brain. Unable to work, I focused on healing. I became obsessed with learning what constitutes true health and wellness, what makes us thrive.
My journey back to health took eight years. I spent thousands of hours learning about the four cornerstones of well-being: eat right, move enough, stress less, and love well, and how to best practice them. I’ve never been happier and healthier than I am today. I am sober, medication and anxiety free!
I work with clients who want to improve their health and well-being (to thrive!) and clients recovering from benzodiazepine-induced neurological dysfunction. I coach individuals, groups, and lead corporate trainings.
My websites are:
Education and Career
- B.A. English, Mills College
- Doctorate (PsyD) in psychology, Cal Southern University
- Spiritual Director training
- Trauma training under Dr. Peter Levin and Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
- Post-doc social neuroscience training
- Certified in plant-based nutrition, Cornell University
- Gut microbiome master-class, Dr. Will Bulsiewicz
- Numerous self-help books
- Appearances on radio and TV
- Top-tier media interviews
- National/International speaking engagements
- Online contributor for Psychology Today
- Leading authority/coach/educator on BIND (benzodiazepine-induced neurological dysfunction)
- Heal With Dr. Jenn support group/group coaching
- Taught How To Boost Your Creative Brain Power at Stanford University
- Health and wellness coaching
- The Synergy Podcast
- Consulting work for Silicon Valley startups
- The novel, Hen